10 Commandments for Sports Parents
USSA, in partnership with USA Swimming about five years ago, put out the following list for parents.
- Do not impose your ambitions on your child.
- Be supportive, no matter what.
- Do not coach your child.
- Only have positive things to say at a competition.
- Acknowledge your child's fears.
- Do not criticize officials.
- Honor your child's coach.
- Be loyal and supportive of the team.
- Encourage goals other winning.
- Do not expect your child to become an Olympian.